Looking for a search consultant?
Before you search for an advertising agency, you'll need to look for a search consultant to help you. The criteria
on the following list should help you select the best consultant for your
Does your search consultant have:
- The ability to develop and coach stakeholder teams, ultimately helping them reach consensus?
- Expertise in identifying and formalizing scope of work requirements for candidate agencies?
- Knowledge and expertise with most prominent marketing communications agencies?
- Skills in obtaining the right data, information and insights on candidate agencies, extracting what you need to know rather than what these agencies would like to pitch?
- The ability to tailor the review process to your needs. Clients often have complexities and internal obstacles to a smooth agency selection, which can be successfully navigated with expert assistance?
- Experience in managing several agency reviews involving different communications disciplines at one time?
- Experience in evaluating potential media cost and delivery performance of candidate agencies?
- Ability to evaluate candidate agency/ staffing and compensation proposals, including performance-based programs?
To help you get the most success from your brand communications resources, we have
developed a list of suggestions, based on a combined 50+ years experience
of our staff. It is availalble in a free, confidential consultation, which
is only the beginning of the insight we can offer.
Most Common Mistakes in Searches
- Agency selection criteria not clearly defined
- Process either too objective or subjective
- Process creates apples to-oranges comparisons
- Right questions arent asked
- Key stakeholders are not involved in the selection process
- Discord among stakeholders on the role and responsibility of the agency
- Agency biases or an uneven playing field
- Compensation too heavily weighted in making the agency selection decision
- Scope of work is incomplete and/or lacks sufficient detail
- Timetable does not allow for sufficient agency contact and evaluation
- Agency selection made without properly addressing agency staffing and compensation plans
- Client and agency cultures and work styles not given serious consideration
- Expecting the ultimate advertising campaign to be born in the search process
For a free, personal and confidential consultation on agency
compensation and other contract issues, please call Dwight Shelton
Back to Top